Saturday, August 25, 2012

Scotch Mist - Electric Folk band c1974

Scotch Mist were technically a Birmingham Electric Folk band but Coventry area connections. I came across them through Mike O'Hare of Coventry Virgin Records store and the band also played in the Coventry area, including the Digger's festival at Coventry Cathedral 1974. They were also featured in Hobo - Coventry Music and Arts Magazine in 1974.

SCOTCH MIST

Were featured in HOBO Magazine Streetnews column in 1974 -

SCOTCH MIST - From Hobo Magazine 1974
A Birmingham band, playing electric folk similar to Fairport Convention. This band, managed by Mike O'Hare of the
Coventry Virgin Records store, have been around a fair while, and Mike assures me that they are an exceptional band. The line up consists of Keith Jones fiddle / mandolin / dulicmer / Melodian. Ken Jones guitar / Melodian / dulcimer. Mike James lead vocals / guitar / banjo/ harmonica. Kevin Whitehouse bass / madolin / Lute.Steve Austin drums and percussion. They have gigs lined up at the Royal Collage of Art / Manchester University / Warwick University (2 gigs) and Coventry Cathedral Ruins for the Digger's concert Sat July 13th.

Ken Jones responded to an earlier mention of Scotch Mist on this site thus -

[this is good] Just a note of thanks for naming our old manager from Virgin Records.... I played in the 70's Scotch Mist folk rock band you've mentioned, and have struggled to recall his name for more years I care to remember! The Coventry Cathedral Ruins gig quoted was a pleasure to play at even though the rain did its best to spoil things. Great site by the way. Cheers! Ken Jones

4 comments:

  1. My father played in that band?David laird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, is he still around? Those are the only names I have but I've no idea if anyone was replaced or joined later. What was his name and what did he play. I can add it to the post if you let me know. Trev Teasdel (site admin)

      Delete
    2. A different band I'm guessing 'Unknown' ? My late brother Keith and I formed the band in 1970 and I remained until it was remained to Bright Eyes around 1976, no David in the line-up. Ken x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete